Have you tried the ever popular and trendy chia seed yet?
I have and I love them. I try to eat a tablespoon everyday. These tiny little seeds are rockstars. They are super small and have a slightly nutty flavor. I pick mine up at Trader Joe’s, but you can get them online or at almost any grocery store.
The health benefits of chia seeds are numerous and here is why you should buy into chia too:
- One ounce of chia seeds contain about 18% of your daily value of calcium-more than an 8-oz. serving of skim milk.
- Chia seeds are packed with omega-3’s (the same healhy fatty acid found in flax seeds and salmon). Ounce for ounce, they are the most concentrated sources of omega-3 in any food.
- Chia seeds contain fiber-and a lot of it. Per ounce chia seeds contain over 40% of the daily reccomended fiber intake, which helps to absorb toxins and assist with colon health.
- Chia seeds are brain food. Researchers claim the seeds improve brain function including memory and concentration.
- The seeds actually expand up to three times their size to hold in water, making this tiny seed a superstar food for athletes and dieters because it keeps you hydrated and feeling full.
- If added to water and allowed to sit for 30 minutes, chia forms a gel. Research suggests that this reaction also takes place in the stomach, which slows down digestive enzymes that break down carbohydrates and convert them into sugar.
So how can you eat this miracle food? Add it to yogurt, your breakfast cereal, baked goods, or just eat by the tablespoon. However, beware of the tiny sticky seeds that tend to get stuck in your teeth and don’t leave them sit in your cereal too long or they will start to become slimy.
Do you have a superfood that you love and the rest of the world should know about? Leave a message for me by commenting on this post.
Peace and Love,